Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sandstorm 800's

Pre-run lunch: egg fried in extra virgin olive oil, rice mixed with red beans and diced sweet potatoes, topped with mango, tomato, and onion salsa.
Thanks to the influence of Sarah Stanley I have chosen to cut out processed foods, such as bread, crackers, chips and cereal, and as a result I feel healthier and faster than ever. Instead of eating a sandwich and chips for lunch, I pack left-over dinner such as rice or pasta, bean soup, and salad. I have also been eating a ton of vegetables, especially carrots.

Mom added some bright yellow flowers as an eye-catching backdrop for our front-yard's landscaping, effectively making my family look like Baltimore Ravens fans.  My apologies to the Miami Dolphins, but we couldn't find any teal flowers.  

 
Me and Tina getting ready for our beach run. I wasn't wearing the most flattering/best fitting work-out attire in the world, but Tina made up for it with the tank and shorts that I gave her (Lady Foot Locker: Adidas tank and Nike shorts). The 20 mph winds made my 3.96 mile run feel like a 5 mile uphill run, and running next to the beach also added the effect of romping through a sandstorm, with the wind whipping hard grains of sand against any exposed parts of your body.

RUN
 2 minute warm-up
4*800 meters (3:35, 3:51, 4:11, 4:05)
l:30 recovery jog in between
1.22 mile cooldown (first half jogging, other half walking with Tina)

TOTAL: 3.96 miles, 40:44
My 800 meter times were a bit slower due to the wind that seemed to be trying to push me to the ground while blasting me with sand, but it was still a pretty run. Sandy, but scenic.

After running I was dying for some fresh fruit, so I decided to try the papaya that my mom bought from Bravo's. The flesh of the papaya scooped out as smoothly as ice-cream, and all I had to do was scoop the fruit into the blender with some ice and my smoothie was done.

Despite the post-run smoothie my sister continued her special ritual of finishing every snack with a bowl of cereal. I should buy her a box of Special K chocolate cereal for Christmas next year.  

Tina and I catching up with The Voice while chilling on exercise mats, followed by Fashion Star. We are usually too busy to watch television every day, so we have a lazy day every week where we plop down and watch enough t.v. to fill in the required amount of time needed to run a marathon. Which, if you are a killer runner like Lauren Fleshman, is approximately 2 hours and 37 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment