Sunday, April 8, 2012

Prom and Prejudice

Finally, after enduring peer pressure from friends and teachers, I have consented to go to Prom. I just might need a few espressos to stay awake since the event begins at my bedtime, 8 PM, and doesn't end until 12 AM.
With that said, Tia Susanna drove me to the mall on Saturday to find a Prom dress. When she asked me what I was looking for, I summed it up like this: I don't want to look like a highlighter or a mermaid or a puffball. I am looking for something classy and elegant, preferably with a single shoulder strap. Done.

Walking into Macy's we found five dresses that caught my fancy and headed to the fitting room. I couldn't figure out how to get into one of the dresses due to the intricracies imposed by the designer, so that one was an automatic no. Two of the dresses were a bit too "old" for me. Then, there were the final two dresses. The first one was royal blue dress by Ralph Lauren, with a moderate leg slit and soft fabric. The second dress was black and had one shoulder strap, with lace accents enwrapping the torso and falling down the sides of the dress. It was well-fitted at the torso and morphed into a swishy fabric from the waist down. I tried on each dress three different times to decide which one I liked better, and choose the black gown. I found the elegant glamour of the dress appealing.
Finding the dress was a breeze compared to finding the right shoes. I have combed through Macy's, Nordstrom, JCPenney, Marshalls, and Famous Footwear to no avail. The hunt is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment