Friday, April 20, 2012

Districts: Triple PR!!!

I am super-grateful to announce that, at Districts, I set THREE NEW PERSONAL RECORDS!
I couldn't have asked for a better way to end my seventh year of track.
 Last year I ended up dropping to the ground due to heat exhaustion once they did the second call for the 1600 meter race. I had tried staying loose for 8 hours in hot weather (low to mid 80's Fahrenheit) and suffered from cramps, dizziness, and a general feeling of turdiness.  I remember a coach from another team seeing me crumpled against the fence and walking me over to the trainer's tent, where I was iced for a good 40 minutes or so and given Gatorade and Sunchips to rehydrate.
Thankfully it was more cloudy this year, but I still took precautions to make sure that I would not burn my energy too early.
After running the 4*8 relay, where I earned 2:59 for my 800, I completed a 10 minute cooldown jog and dropped onto my mat for a 30 minute power nap.
After the nap, I went for a quick jog, munched on orange slices and granola bars, and visited the bathroom about fifteen hundred times.
This meet went way slower than last year, saying that I ran the 1600 around 9 PM and the 3200 at 11 PM. Thankfully my fantastic Mom and Tina brought me coffee an hour before the 1600, I don't think that I would have survived without the caffeine.
The cool thing was that for all of my races, even though my body was giving 100%, it didn't hurt as much as I imagined it would. For the 1600 meter race I stayed with a group of girls and fixed my eyes on their ponytails, vowing not to let them surge ahead of me. I tailed them until they began to tire out from the extra speed that you put out when someone is breathing down your neck, and then I surged ahead of them and focused on keeping a hard pace. I was so focused on staying ahead of the other girls that the four laps flew by.
During the 3200 there was one girl who was right behind me during the first three laps, but I keep a strong pace as she slowly faded farther behind me. Just the thought of her summoning a kick from somewhere deep inside and passing me (which has happened before) motivated me to sprint the final 300 meters to the finish line like a madwoman.
My seven years in track have taught me that it is better to follow packs, allow them to break the headwind, and surge ahead of them for the final 800 meters, letting out every ounce of kick within you.
The meet finished around 12:15 AM, and we didn't arrive home until 1 AM, so studying was out of the question. I walked straight to the shower, washed off the sweat that I had accumulated over the past 19 hours since I had last showered, and rolled underneath my comforter. I was completely comatose and didn't wake up until 7:16 AM. School today? No thank-you.

SENIOR SEASON PERSONAL RECORDS:
800 meters - 2:59
1600 meters -
3200 meters -

will publish times once they are posted on the official athletic association site

No comments:

Post a Comment