Thursday, March 1, 2012

PR!!!

Remember my little rant on my last post??? The one about me not be anywhere near the shape I need to be in to race the 3200, let alone set a PR??? Well, I was wrong.
Yesterday evening, I won the 3200 meter race and SET A PR. It was one of the best races of my life. I originally didn't want to race the 3200, thinking that I wouldn't perform well after completing the 1600 and 4*8 relay with subpar times. Danny, however, wouldn't hear it. I mumbled and grumbled and called him a jerk as I did my warm-up jog and drills behind him. When they called for the athetes to line up at the starting line, I unethusiatically slipped out of my warm-up sweats and ambled over.
Once the pistol went off, I took off at a nice pace. By the first lap I had zoned into the red rubber track. It was just me and the run. It was beautiful.
Daniel's dad yelled out my splits every now and then, but I thought he was mistaken. The times he was yelling out seemed too fast. Whatever. I just kept on running.
I felt great when I crossed the finish line, despite my gasping for oxygen and grabbing onto Wadi to steady myself after he gave me a high five.  He thought I was dying or something. Right after giving the race officials my name, I looked for Danny's dad to find out what my time was. My watch read 13:52, but I thought that was too fast.
Walking across the field, I spotted Danny's dad and jogged over to him, asking him what my time was. He glanced up at me and said, 13:46.
I HAD JUST RUN A 13:46. A NEW PERSONAL RECORD!
I was beyond psyched. As a matter of fact, I ran over to Danny (who had just won first place in the 3200 with a time around 10 minutes) and gave him a hug, proclaiming that he was the best jerk in the universe. I then resorted to shrieking like the esctatic athlete that I was.
This is a huge mental breakthrough for me. I still can barely believe that I ran a 6:56 pace. Now that I have broken that 14 minute mark, how much lower can I go?

(For those of you who are not aware, Danny is my friend, as well as the best jerk in the world. He is a beast when it comes to cross-country and track. During school, we jabber about running in every class we have together.)

I thank God for giving me this great breakthrough. He is an awesome God.

No comments:

Post a Comment