Friday, May 18, 2012

Savor Summer

 As Summer approaches, I have to start waking up at the crack of dawn for my runs. Here are some reasons why:
8 AM-5 PM = Hades.
6 PM - all night long = Gnats.
4 AM - 7 AM = Calm.

9 AM - 10 AM
4 by 1 mile repeats with a 2:40 minute recovery in between
Splits: (7:06) (7:39) (7:54) (7:48)

The mantra "savor the pain, savor the fight" was running through my head during the last split when I thought I was going to pass out from heat stroke. This pain-embracing motto reminds me of the training method I need in order to compete. There will always be a fight between my mind and my body when I push out of my comfort zone. My body sometimes cries and screams for me to stop while my inner being tells to to keep going, to go faster, to take down one more mile. You can only listen to your body so much when you train competitively - listen too much and you will not see improvement.
However, it also holds true that if you ignore your body, you will eventually crash and burn. There is a difference between sore, excusable pain and sharp, injury-induced pain. It just takes time and experience to tell the difference.
I also have to keep in mind that I am young - I am able to accomplish things that will be genetically more difficult for me to achieve when I am older. It is best to savor the rest of my todays so that in the future I will be stronger from my yesterdays.

As summer approaches with the hope of college in the distance, I have an opportunity to break my self-inflicted barriers - the excuses that keep me from giving my all in everything that I do.
I am not too tall/short/skinny/fat to surpass my goals. Sometimes I pass runs because it is too hot/windy/humid. A little planning can fix that. I simply need to destroy the word "too" and my excuses crumble to the ground like dust.

The source of this profound post can be traced to the fact that:
  1. I earned my drivers license today, and am feeling more responsbile/independent.
  2. SEU is starting a cross-country team in the fall, and I have contacted the athletic director and sent the athletic eligibility form, making me more critical of my times and excited about the prospect of competitively running in college.
The work-out doesn't end with the run - injury prevention, core conditioning, and strength sculpting sessions will keep you on the road longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment