Thursday, April 11, 2013

10 Lessons I Learned during my First Year of College

  1. We > I. Teams, families, and communities are more effective than isolated or self-seeking individuals.
  2. It's not all about you. Refusing to be self-centered is extremely counter-cultural.
  3. Suck it up. A Christian woman that I admire once said, "If you fall during the tribulation, you will never see the blessing." You have to keep pushing if you want to see the fruit of your labor. A synonymous quote on my dorm wall reads, "I am not finished when I am tired. I am finished when I am done."
  4. Friendships rarely just "click". They are pursued after common interests are discovered, and their growth is watered through experiences, encouragement, affirmation, tears, and sweat. It is impossible to ignite friendships with those who remain invulnerable.
  5. Fear of rejection keeps us isolated, alone, bitter, and depressed. After a while, if you let it become a piece of your identity, it gives you a sense of entitlement to be self-absorbed.
  6. Be skeptical. When it comes to intellectual/political/spiritual discussions, you don't have to swallow what you chew.
  7. Trust. Recognizing your complete dependence on God will help you sleep 10000000 times better.
  8. "Opportunities multiply as they are seized" (The Art of War) You have to take the intiative. People aren't going to come to you and say "Oh I heard that you are just fabulous at ______, I have a job that would be perfect for you!" The reality is that you have to seize opportunities, even if you have NO IDEA what you are doing - this helps you grow like crazy!
  9. Learn to say "No". While you are going about carping the diem, it is important to let some opportunities pass by. Otherwise you will burn out and will be utterly ineffective in everything you do.
  10.  Your life is significant. Believe it. There will come times when you question your purpose, your situation in life, and your reason for living. If you don't have purpose and vision, you will have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment